Mar 21, 2010

Hot dogs

I was Pheeling a little Philly tonight, so I had a roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe, roasted peppers and provolone for dinner.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that if you switch the roast pork with a hot dog, you'd get the South Philly, which will probably be the Phillies new signature hot dog at Citizens Bank Park.

Other than the coincidence, I don't like this. It's too contrived. I don't think that the Dodgers and Red Sox set out to have iconic franks - they just happened.

And, why bother with the competition? At least the South Philly is Philadelphia cuisine. I understand that the Citizens Bank Summer Hot Dog comes on a pretzel roll, but a cucumber on a hot dog means Chicago to me.

From hot dogs on buns to hot dogs hamming it up: Christine has asked me to give the phrase "Bring it on" a rest because I've been overkilling it this offseason. But I have no other words in my mind after previewing the Red Sox new commercials for the New England Sports Network.

The best features a punk-ass Yankees fan talking up his fraudulent champs in a barber shop where David Ortiz, Jonathan Papelbon, Jason Varitek and Tim Wakefield are all getting a little off the top. Needless to say, the punk-ass is shown the door with a buzz cut that wasn't exactly what he expected.

After seeing that, I'm reading to see Victor Martinez take CC Sabathia deep on Opening Day. Bring ... me a South Philly with some spicy mustard.

[Photo credit: Aramark via Philadelphia Inquirer]

No comments: