Jun 25, 2009

Mental health day

Most of us can use a break from the daily drudgery once in a while. I guess that applies to major leaguers, too.

Charlie Manuel announced before tonight's game that J-Roll will be riding the bench for at least the next two games. He's not even taking batting practice. He's currently batting .211 with a .254 OBP and slugging just .328. Last night, his throwing error led to a five-run 8th inning for the Rays as they beat the Phillies 7-1.

I'm curious what Jimmy's reaction will be to this mini furlough. He took it in stride when Cholly benched him twice last year. I hope he gets himself straightened out soon; the Phillies could really use a healthy, happy, hitting Jimmy Rollins right now.

(P.S. I swear I wrote this post before I saw Todd Zolecki's blog. I even looked up J-Roll's numbers myself! I promise I'm not ripping off Zo, even though we both ended on the same sentiment, too.)

Once last ceremony: Also before tonight's game, Elvis - Pat Burrell's bulldog, for those of you not in the know - was presented with a medallion commemorating the 2008 World Series victory. It has a replica of the face of the World Series ring that the team received and it says Elvis on it. As they were showing the highlights of the "presentation," the TV announcers joked that Burrell was worried that the weight of the medallion would weigh down Elvis' head. Instead, Elvis gave a big dog smile as he proudly walked around with his prize around his neck. Needless to say, I'll post a photo if I can find one.

Tonight: Despite a four-run 1st inning, the Phillies are now losing to the Rays 6-4 in the 5th inning. Starter Antonio Bastardo left the game with an injury in the 4th.

First start: John Smoltz's debut with the Red Sox didn't go as planned. He gave up five earned runs in five innings to the Nationals. He had five strikeouts, but also gave up seven hits, a walk and hit a batter. Daniel Bard took over pitching duties, but the Sox now trail the Nats 7-1 in the 6th.

No comments: