Jun 3, 2009

Birthdays and milestones

Back in April, I forgot to wish Terry Francona a happy 50th birthday; I'll tip my hat - not a Scratch-n-Sniff watermelon one blech - the day after he won his 500th game as manager of the Red Sox. (The score remained 5-1 over the Tigers despite Papelbon giving up three hits in a non-save situation. He did have three strikeouts.)

I won't forget to wish Raul Ibanez a happy birthday (last night). He celebrated with his 200th career home run in a 10-5 win over the Padres, highlighted by a great debut for Antonio Bastardo - one earned on four hits and a walk over six innings with five strikeouts. That's much better than the numbers for Jake Peavy - four runs in one inning - who left the game because of illness. (Christine insists it's swine flu.)

His relief, like Ibanez, was also a birthday boy, notes Andy Martino:

--Fun fact: Raul Ibanez hit his 200th home run on his 37th birthday. The pitcher who allowed the shot, Josh Geer, also was celebrating a birthday, at least until he faced Ibanez. It was Geer’s 26th.

Neither Martino nor Ibanez knew whether the Phillies Ponce de Leon ever homered on his birthday before.

I checked: He hit one on his 34th birthday in 2006. For his career, he's now 7-25 (.280) on his birthdays.

Misc.: Scott Eyre thinks he will retire after this season.

Tonight: J.A. Happ goes for the Phils late in San Diego; Josh Beckett nearly threw a no-hitter tonight. We got home in the 5th inning, and I saw a full inning before he gave up a hit with two outs in the 7th. I thought he had it, too. He looked so calm and under control. I felt like I was watching the 2007 playoffs. It was a close game until the Red Sox put up six runs in the 8th. They're ahead of the Tigers 10-1 in the 8th.

No comments: