Jun 13, 2009

Game 2?

I got drenched mowing the lawn this morning. I hope to stay dry the rest of the evening, but that remains questionable. I'll let you know tomorrow. I hope tonight's game - Daisuke Matsuzaka (who is overdue for a good outing) vs. Antonio Bastardo (who has yet to have a bad one) - proceeds uninterrupted.

Replay: I commend Shane Victorino's honesty. Christine doesn't.

"I thought it was way foul, to be honest," said Victorino, who added that first-base coach Davey Lopes agreed.

He was referring to Greg Dobbs' 11th-inning foul ball that Charlie Manuel argued should have at least been sent to instant replay for further review.

I'll let Scott Lauber have the final word:

And, really, if the Phillies hadn't struck out 20 times and stranded 10 runners, we wouldn't be talking about Joyce's call today.

Sour grapes: So thanks to some weird licensing rule, the Rays have final say over the Phillies' single-A team's promotions that feature major league logos. The Rays nixed a promotion featuring a Pat Burrell bobblehead in a Phillies uniform holding the trophy. I could almost understand it until I read they allowed similar bobbleheads for Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley. What, do they think Pat the Bat is such a popular Ray that Floridians will automatically become Phillies fans because of this bobblehead?

All I know is that, thankfully, the Threshers didn't try a similar promotion with Burrell's bulldog Elvis. Christine would insist that we should be on the next plane down to Florida.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say I just found your blog tonight, very cool. Im a lifelong Sox fan who moved to PA 4 years ago with my Phillies fan husband, so this blog is perfect. Crossing my fingers these teams will never be in a world series together.

Greg said...

Welcome aboard - SoxandPhils couples are always welcome here. After years of joking about it, we still can't believe how close we came to that World Series last year. It may happen this year. I think it would be less stressful because each team is coming off a recent championship.