May 19, 2009

New kids on the block

Last year, the baseball world waited for the Tampa Bay Rays to fall apart so that the Red Sox and Yankees could assume their customary spots in the AL playoffs.

I wasn't so dismissive of the Rays (I knew they were a tough opponent capable of knocking out the Yankees), but I was confident the Red Sox would prevail. I was wrong.

This year, the Blue Jays have been leading the AL East. They have a 3.5-game lead over the Red Sox as the two teams square off for the first time tonight. Everyone expected the East to be a three-team battle among the Rays, Red Sox and Yankees. But we should have seen the Jays lurking.

Since Cito Gaston began his second stint as Blue Jays manager last year, the team has gone 78-51. That's on pace for 98 wins over a full season, which is one game better than the Rays finished in 2008.

Like the Rays last year, I don't think it's a fluke. Tony Massarotti did a tale of the tape on the division: Among the four teams, the Jays have the best starting pitching, offense and defense. The bullpen is just a tick behind Boston's.

I still have faith the Red Sox will improve their play and catch the Jays in the end, but it's not going to be easy.

Greg's personal trivia: Between cementing my disdain for the Yankees and deciding on the Red Sox, I tried out several teams. I was strong on the Blue Jays for awhile. I even had a hat.

NKOTB (Phillies rotation version): As strongly suggested this week, J.A. Happ is trading roles with Chan Ho Park. His first start is Saturday in the Evil Empire's empty new stadium.

OKOTB: Chris Wheeler likened a hitting or pitching coach to the senior member of a broadcast team. Tom McCarthy asked him how that was working out for him. "Not good," Wheeler said.

Well, don't stick around on our behalf. I hate Wheels.

Tonight's games: The Red Sox-Blue Jays rivalry looks to be off to a good start with a pitching duel, 2-1 in the 8th. The Phillies are up 4-3 over the Reds in the 7th.

No comments: