May 27, 2009

Alternate universe

Since the great '04, I've said rooting for the Red Sox has forever changed. I predicted a similar experience for the Phillies fans who waited decades for a championship.

But I didn't think things could change so drastically that the Philadelphia fans (I'll spare the stories of snowballs and D batteries) would be too soft on the defending World Champion first-place Phillies.

"I notice sometimes when they're talking to us around the dugout, they're always talking about last year and thanking us for winning and all that," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said before last night's 5-3 victory over the Florida Marlins. "Of course, they're enjoying the game and they love us, but ... well, maybe they should get on us a little bit."

What? Charlie Manuel, who was nearly run out of town before writing his first lineup, is asking for grief from the fans?

It's a recipe to repair the homefield oddity, to ease the manager's concerns that our newfound niceness is hurting, not helping his ballclub.

"If you notice, our fans are still into everything," said Manuel. "They fill our ballpark up. And they stay. And that's good. I want them to keep coming to the games.

"But I want our fans to start telling them, 'Hey, look: We've got to win this year, too.'"

Be careful what you wish for Charlie.

Speaking of boos, in my haste to wrap up the post and get to bed last night, I forgot to mention that there were some boos for Brad Lidge when he walked his first batter.

Tonight: Brett Myers' hot streak ended - he was removed in the 6th down 5-1 to the Marlins. ... Red Sox and Twins are scoreless in the 3rd. Daisuke Matsuzaka threw 24 pitches in one inning, Kevin Slowly threw 35 - in two innings.

No comments: