Aug 15, 2008

No more angry puppy

Because it isn't directly related to the Red Sox or Phillies, I wasn't going to mention the divorce of Mike and the Mad Dog. But the Red Sox are rained out, the Phillies are playing out West again, and I'm still bummed that my favorite radio show is no more.

When I first heard the rumors, I believed Chris Russo when he said it meant nothing that he wasn't talking to the vacationing Mike Francesa. I thought no big deal, it'll be another summer when they're barely on at the same time. I thought they would be back together by September, just in time to add another level of enjoyment to the impending Yankees and Mets collapses.

This morning, however, when I flipped on WFAN, I was jolted by callers blaming the station for getting rid of the Mad Dog. An institution for most of my life was gone.

I like Francesa. He's one of the few Yankee fans I can tolerate. I used to think he was the voice of reason, but recently I've grown more fond of Russo. His angry puppy shtick has toned down, and if you get past it, he usually makes a lot of sense. Plus, you have to love someone who started the Crack Committee to make sure the Empire was vanquished on a pro-Yankee station (this was back when the Yankees won championships).

I'll miss Fatso and Fruit Loops. I even already miss their cheesy jingle. Listening to Francesa on the way home mid-show, I kept hoping they would play it. Thankfully, we have You Tube if you want to hear them "going at it as hard as they can."



Games: The Rays, Twins and White Sox are winning. The Mets remain in first place with a win over the Pirates. The second-place Phillies are scoreless in the 4th inning in San Diego as two elder statesmen, Jamie Moyer and Greg Maddux, match wits.

No comments: