Aug 25, 2008

Day-late recap

I wish I could say that we stayed for the end of Sunday night's game. Not even close.

With Greg out of town, I made plans with a friend to go to the game. Unfortunately, her kids and husband passed a cold onto her, so she was unable to make it. So my mom went to the game with me. This is now two games that she's been to in the past two weeks - other season ticket holders in our section are probably gossiping about Greg's whereabouts. Before these games, she hadn't been to a game since 2004 (see sidebar below).

We stayed until the end of the 7th before bowing out. I was driving back to my house during the bottom of the 9th when Pedro Feliz singled home Shane Victorino and was settled in front of the TV when he slammed his three-run home in the bottom of the 11th. Phillies 5, Dodgers 2.

Greg would have enjoyed the game - a little sloppy to be called a pitcher's duel, but he loves low-scoring match-ups. Joe Blanton threw 29 pitches in the 1st inning, allowing one run, before settling down to pitch better over the next five innings. There were also some nifty defensive plays on both sides, including Ryan Howard's sliding grab in foul territory and Victorino's snag in deep center.

I admit that I was getting a little nervous about a no-hitter before Carlos Ruiz singled in the 5th, which led to the Phillies first run.

Notes and observations: I did buy a scorecard, but filled in only the 1st inning. I mostly just needed something to jot down some notes. ... The boos for Manny Ramirez were unbelievable. You would think that he were a Met or J.D. Drew. Is Sox hatred that deep, or is it just Manny? ... The Phanatic did a mid-inning salsa with current Dodgers first base coach and former Phillie Mariano Duncan. I always liked Duncan, but I suppose I have a soft spot for most of the '93 team. ... Speaking of the Phanatic, he drove his four-wheeler right by us near the right field gate as the crowd was streaming into the ballpark before the game. ... The West Chester Community Chorus performed the anthem. It was well-received. ... Chris Coste's fan club is called Coste's Ghosts. I wonder if they were still around in the 10th when he came into the game. ... During one of the mid-inning scoreboard video displays, Jason Bay and Cole Hamels were listed as "Who's Hot." Odd, because I thought Bay had been cooling down. ... My mom likes Kashmir for Chase Utley's intro music. She think it works well.

Sidebar: My mom and I used to go to a lot of games in the early '90s. What better way to spend a beautiful Sunday afternoon than at a ballgame? General admission tickets at Veterans Stadium were only $5, and that's when I first learned that even though the seats may be high, as along as you're behind home plate, all is good. We also brought my younger cousin to quite a few games. We used to tell him that they locked the gates and that we weren't allowed to leave before the 7th inning. It worked, and we would usually manage to stay for the whole game.

As I got older, there were fewer game opportunities because of work and other vital young-adult obligations. We had plans for the three of us (Greg, me and my mom) to go to the last game at the Vet, but she wasn't able to make it because of a family emergency.

When 2004 rolled around, Greg and I decided we wanted to bring her to brand-new Citizens Bank Park on her birthday. With tickets in short supply that year, we had to turn to Ebay to make it to a Saturday afternoon game in July. We settled into our seats with food and got ready to enjoy the game.

Coincidentally, Greg's dad was also at the ballpark that day. His company was holding a regional meeting, and the ballpark was deemed to be a central location for all the participants. So after their meeting in one of the park's conference rooms, they adjourned to a suite to take in the game. We were in our seats, they were in the suite, and his dad gave us a call. He could get us into the suite.

We rushed down to the suite level, and there was a little problem trying to convince security that we did have tickets to be there, if they would just let us go get them from the people in the suite. But at that moment, his dad came out, flashed some tickets and we were in. Were they really extra tickets or just someone else's who was already there? Who knows? Who cares? We were in a suite in the new Phillies ballpark.

It was heaven. Indoor and outdoor seating. Televisions wherever you looked for a better view of the game. And all the food and drink that you could want. We sat outside and enjoyed quite a bit of food; I know Citizens Bank has some of the highest-rated ballpark grub, but this was even better. Best part of the day: The Phillies won.

[That was also the day the 2004 Red Sox took their first steps toward a championship. It was the day Jason Varitek shoved his glove in Alex Rodriguez's face. They had the game on in the suite, but there was no sound so we had no clue what was really going on.]

Now, every game, when we ride up the escalator past the suite level, I look longingly at the closed doors, knowing the good stuff that goes on behind them. I don't know how, but we will find ourselves back in a suite again sometime.

Tonight's action: The Phillies shut out the Dodgers 5-0 to complete the four-game sweep and get some revenge after their last meeting. Brett Myers had yet another good outing, and Jimmy Rollins remembered how to hit, going 3-for-3 and reaching base in all five at-bats. He was rewarded with copious cheers. The Mets beat the Astros 9-1, so the Phillies are still a half-game out in the standings.

Tomorrow night the Mets come to town for a quick two-game series. Pitching match-ups are Pedro Martinez vs. Jamie Moyer and Johan Santana vs. Kyle Kendrick. If Greg were here, I'm sure he would come up with some sort of insights, but I'm not that creative. I'm just looking forward to reclaiming first place.

Red Sox: They also won in 11 innings on Sunday, 6-5 over the Blue Jays. They are off tonight and stand 4.5 behind the also idle Rays. They lead the White Sox and Twins by one game for the Wild Card. The Sox start a series Tuesday against the increasingly irrelevant Yankees. Greg's bummed that he won't be able to watch or listen to the games.

[Varitek photo credit: Associated Press]

5 comments:

Greg said...

Nice post. I missed the end of Sunday's game even though it was on ESPN. I had returned to my hotel room and put the game on as I got changed, ready for the next day and did a few last-minute work tasks. But my room has very few outlets, so I unplugged something to charge my cell phone. That took out the TV as Victorino got on base. I then forgot to turn the TV on when I plugged it back in.

Unknown said...

So that's why I got to go to the last game at the Vet? Belatedly, I hope it was nothing serious.

Nothing against Greg, but you need to write these more often.

Separately, I think Liza may want to contact you.

Christine said...

Greg: You didn't remember to turn on the TV?! How are you going to survive this week without me?

Brian: 1. Yes, that's why you went. You were aware of the circumstances at the time and acknowledged it (a death in the family).

2. I'm out of my element when I'm writing. I'm much better at critiquing and tweaking. But you'll have two weeks of my Phillies ramblings coming up.

3. I'm in mid-email to Liza right now.

Greg said...

It's rough. But I was heavily sleep-deprived and under stress.

Unknown said...

1. OK, I think I recall now.

2. Nice win tonight. I think we'll pull it out.

3. Kashmir is my cellphone ringtone in honor of Chase Utley.