Aug 5, 2008

It's easier rooting for someone else's team

My friend always likes to remind me that he had faith the Red Sox would come back from 0-3 against the Yankees in the great 2004 ALCS. I always counter that it's easy to be optimistic when it's not your team you're suffering with.

Simarly, last year Christine hoped the Phillies would clinch before the last game of the year so she wouldn't be too nervous in the stands during that game. I told her the night before the final game that it was the best possible scenario - odds were on ending the season in the tie, but I felt good about the Phils clinching outright, which they did.

I mention because I thought the Phillies were in good shape tonight, even when trailing 2-0 in the 7th against the Marlins. Christine disagreed, noting the Phillies kept hitting into double plays whenever they had a man on. Even though Clay Condrey and the Phils-debuting Les Walrond each gave up a run in the 7th, I still thought they'd come back when Shane Victorino hit a foul ball the umpires called a homer. But J.A. Happ, pitching for the first time in what seems like months, gave up four more. Marlins 8, Phillies 2.

Jamie Moyer took the loss, dropping his career record to 10-1 against the Marlins.

The Marlins cut the lead to 1.5 and the Mets, with new closer Aaron Heilman, held on to win and pull within two games of the Phils.

Red Sox: They're beating the Royals, but it looks like they won't gain ground on the Rays, who are also winning. The Yankees, at least, are losing. For the Wild Card, the White Sox are losing, but the Twins are winning.

1 comment:

Joe Wolf's Vertical Jump said...

It's always good to have a positive friend like me......