Jun 28, 2010

Best summer job ever

A few years ago, my mom told us that her neighbors' son was the Phillies batboy. Yeah right. We figured she misunderstood, or the parents were exaggerating, or some other scenario. Turns out that this kid is the Phillies batboy, and he may just be their good luck charm.

I forget when she first mentioned it, before the start of either the 2007 or 2008 season. But considering how the Phillies have performed since then, I think the team may keep him around until he's well past the batboy phase; he must be nearing the end of batteen; I guess he'll be called the batman next?

So whenever we see him on TV or at the ballpark performing his duties, Greg and I are definitely a bit jealous. We know the best way to break into an organization is to have a job like this while you're young; I suppose I should introduce myself to the batboy, just in case he ends up in a position of power with the Phillies someday and he's looking for an editor, or writer, or blogger, or PR person, or whatever job he wants to offer.

Next games: The Phillies face the Reds tonight and will try to keep chipping away at the Braves' lead in the NL East. The Red Sox are off until tomorrow when they face the Rays. I'm sure the injury-plagued players are grateful for the day off.

No comments: