Sep 14, 2009

Gag me with a spoon

Don't do it.

Don't even think of it.

DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK.

(This is so awful that I will not mention the author nor the title even though it's probably costing me blog hits.)

There are millions of struggling legitimate writers out there. Support them, not this pompous ass. He already has a much larger platform than he deserves. We have to listen to him every night, and that's not enough for him.

By the way, you know this is bad. We've bought books written by Gary Matthews, Chris Coste and even the Phanatic. But even we, as authors of a blog half dedicated to the Phillies, cannot do this one.

Argh.

This reviewer, who sounds an awful lot like Sarge, says it all.

Thankfully, the Phillies are off tonight, so I don't have to hear him. Actually, it is good the Phillies are off, so we can savor Pedro Martinez's performance for one more night. It was so reminiscent of the vintage Pedro who pretty much single-handedly made the Red Sox respectable in the late '90s.

I also had flashbacks of 2003 when Grady Little left him in too long. Last night, I was screaming at the TV when Charlie Manuel let him come out for the 8th inning. I was yelling again when he left him in after visiting the mound.

But then, reading Scott Lauber this morning changed my mind:

Last night, Pedro went eight innings and threw 130 pitches. He hadn't pitched so deep into a regular-season game since May 31, 2006, when he shut out the Arizona for eight innings, and he hadn't thrown so many pitches in a non-playoff game since May 1, 2001, his prime with the Red Sox, when he reached back and fired 136 against Seattle. At one point, a friend from Boston sent me a note on Twitter (@scottlauber) that asked, essentially, if Manuel had never heard of Grady Little, the former Sox manager who ultimately was fired for sticking with Pedro for too long in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, forever known in New England as "The Aaron Boone Game."

But what my friend failed to understand is what Pedro explained late last night in the Phillies' clubhouse. He insisted he feels better than he has since 1998, 1999 or early 2000, and with his unexpected health has come an equally surprising level of effectiveness.

I told Christine I was believing in Pedro again. I wish my T-shirt still fit. I wish I could get Don't Stop Believing out of my head.

Tonight: The Red Sox and the Phillies are off.

1 comment:

Matty said...

Even as it was happening, I agreed with Charlie leaving Pedro in. The bullpen has been demonstrating lately that in the last few innings, they are suspect at best. And, Pedro was pitching a gem with no sign of fatigue. We can all Monday morning QB this, but in the end, it worked.

As for Wheeler, I can't stand him. He talks too much, over analyzing every second of the game.

I loved Scott Graham. Hated to see him leave. Wheels sucks.