Sep 30, 2008

Pre-game jitters

At this time last year, I thought the Red Sox would win the World Series and the Phillies could get there. I'm not feeling as strong this year. I think either squad could get there - and the odds are probably better than 25 percent that one will be in the big dance - but something is wrong inside of me.

I don't think it's the questionable status of the Red Sox's ace Josh Beckett, World Series MVP Mike Lowell, All-Star Game MVP J.D. Drew or venerable Phillie Pat Burrell - especially since both teams have gotten this far with little showing from these players except for Drew and Burrell in the first half.

Maybe it's just that this is the year - with the Rays and Brewers in the playoffs while the Yankees and Mets watch - that truly anything can happen.

It will be easier watching the Red Sox - despite the late-night starts - because of their past success and the fact that they're physically falling apart right now. But never doubt the heart of a champion. They may take five, but look for them to squeak past the Angels.

Last year, the Phillies were the patient hunter stalking its prey all season, but lost all control in the playoffs and looked inexperienced and over-matched against the Colorado Rockies. They stalked the Mets down again this year, and I've got to hope - if for nothing else than Christine's sanity - that they've learned to be patient this year. I don't know how confident I would be if/when they play the Cubs, but I see no reason for them not to end CC Sabathia's storybook season in four.

Other series: Rays over White Sox in five; Cubs over Dodgers in three.

Christine's picks: Brewers vs. Phillies: Phillies, no doubt.

Dodgers vs. Cubs: Cubs. The Phils can handle them. And on a selfish note, there's no way I can deal with 10 p.m. game times right now. But, the playoff schedule for a Dodgers series is more conducive to my schedule ... OK, I have no idea and no preference. The winner will be irrelevant in two weeks anyway.

White Sox vs. Rays: Rays. White Sox are going to be wiped after the past two days. Some might think they'll be riding the wave, but I think they'll be too spent.

Red Sox vs. Angels: The last time I made a prediction involving the Red Sox, I picked them to win the division, even though my gut said to go with the Rays - if for no other reason than I didn't want to pick the Sox or Yankees. But this time, I'm going with the gut - Angels. Sorry, Greg.

Other tidbits: In what is hopefully a prelude to Dustin MVPedroia, Charlie M-anager of the Year-anuel and Ryan "Two-time" Howard, Brad Lidge is Comeback Player of the Year. Congrats, I guess, but I didn't think his 2007 was that bad. The one thing I noticed is that he trimmed 140 points off his opponents slugging percentage. His minuscule .269 was the lowest of his career. Only the .290 he posted in 2004 compares.

Kyle Loshe finally got the big contract he wanted last year - four years, $41 million. Much better than getting ready to pitch in the playoffs, I bet.

And, they used to say the expectation to win in New York is unbearable. That's no longer true. Both New York GMs got big contracts as reward for failing to make the playoffs. Ed Wade could have been very rich in that city.

Tomorrow's action: Let's hope young Cole Hamels can quickly dispatch the Brewers so we can post about our second experience ever at a playoff game before Jon Lester takes the hill in Anaheim.

Random story from last year's playoff game ... after it ended, Christine and our friend wanted to get something from the Majestic Clubhouse Store. I chose to go to the bathroom and got out before they did. My eyes were dry, so I gave them a shot of Visine. Some drunk girl thought I was crying. I couldn't convince her I wasn't. She hugged me. I tried to push her away. Very weird. {There will be no tears tomorrow. And I'll keep the drunk girls away from Greg.}

No comments: