Jul 30, 2008

Williams, Yaz, Rice, Manny ... Jason Bay?

I'm nervous.

I can remember watching the television in shock at the 2004 trading deadline and seeing that Nomar Garciaparra was traded - not for Matt Clement, as was rumored - but for Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz. I knew Nomar had to go, but I thought he'd fetch more than an inferior shortstop and a no-hit first baseman.

Last year, I thought the Sox cinched the World Series by getting Eric Gagne.

Point is, I'm not the best at judging deadline deals when they happen. Turns out a lot of professionals aren't either.

It's looking like a three-way trade is possible, if not already done, by some reports, that Manny will be a Marlin, and we'll have Jason Bay, the pride of Canada, playing left field in front of the Green Monster - a spot largely tended by Hall of Famers for the past half-century.

If this is it, I thank Manny. I'm upset at some of the grief he caused, but I can't forget that he was a vital cog to two World Championships - including MVP of the great 2004 World Series.

But I also can't forget that these championships were as much a result of the complete organization, not just the star players. The front office has done some unconventional moves (see: Nomar, July 2004), but they've brought respect and winning to an organization that was pretty much patronized until 2003. The Red Sox survived losing Nomar, Pedro Martinez and Johnny Damon. It will survive without Manny.

Some fans would take this trade - coinciding with the worst stretch of the season - as time to say "wait till next year." Screw that. I've seen this team come back from 0-3 against the Yankees and 1-3 against the Indians in their last two ALCSs. They're still defending champions until/unless they're eliminated. I expect them to regroup, reload and come out swinging.

It would have been nice for Josh Beckett to start the charge tonight, but he was shelled and the Angels beat the Red Sox 9-2, completing the sweep. Hope they're not overconfident when we play them in October.

On the bright side: The Phillies, behind a typically sturdy Jamie Moyer start, beat the Nationals 8-5 to reclaim first place by a half game as the Marlins beat the Mets. Moyer had career win number 240.

No comments: