Jul 26, 2008

Seems like old times

We missed the drama today to visit with some friends (thanks for the good eats and nice afternoon, Brian and Liza). The Phillies had an old-fashioned comeback, and the Red Sox are having a really old-fashioned, embarrassing series against the Yankees.

When we first checked on the score, it was 9-3 Braves. Cole Hamels had just given up nine runs in the 4th inning. We joked that young Cole was tired of having his teammates cost him wins, so he was taking matters into his own hands. But the Phils came back with seven runs in the 5th, capped by a three-run, pinch-hit home run by Greg Dobbs to take a 10-9 lead, making reliever Adam Eaton a victor once Brad Lidge nailed down the save, redeeming himself after last night's debacle. I'd like to say that I hope this is the start of something good, but I'm getting tired of saying that - especially when they couldn't capitalize on Tuesday's comeback against the Mets.

I do hope that Joe Blanton has an impressive home debut tomorrow and that we can see a win and be in our car before the thunderstorms arrive.

Red Sox: Things are starting to look bleak. (I know, no complaining for five years after winning a championship). A truly awful performance by Tim Wakefield and the bullpen in a 10-3 loss to the Empire, which is now just one game behind us. Manny Ramirez played. He's not suspended. He's not traded. I don't care. I just want resolution.

Reminder: Watch the Orioles tomorrow. I can't decide if I'm rooting for or against them. ... Jimmy Rollins' MTV Cribs episode debuts tomorrow at 1:30 p.m.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You sounded more optimistic on the picnic table insofar as your hometown nine.

Thanks for coming and thanks for the shout-out. WE'll get Zoe and Finn their pops.

Greg said...

They were losing only 3-2 when we spoke. I was expecting a comeback. Loses to the Empire are always magnified and the Manny situation is turning me off too.