Jun 30, 2008

What a day

Thankfully the Phillies are off tonight because the Red Sox have given us more than enough to chew on. Consider the day's events: a threat against black and Latin players on the Rays and Sox; a Manny Ramirez altercation with the team's traveling secretary; and, oh yeah, the team was in Tampa to try to reclaim first place against their new rivals.

When Manny fought with Kevin Youkilis I initially, and incorrectly, blamed the petulant star. I don't think I'm wrongfully jumping to conclusions for blaming him for shoving to the ground the traveling secretary who couldn't accommodate a ticket request. Manny apologized, and Jack McCormick said there's no ill will. Another stupid distraction for a team when it's faced with a young, hungry challenger. And, oh yeah, if I were Manny I'd be real pissed that the team couldn't get 16 of my friends into Houston to watch me drop two of three against the Astros.

More serious: Someone threatened players on both teams. I thought we were past that.

On a lighter note of law enforcement, former GM Dan Duquette is in trouble with the Massachusetts Ethics Commission for selling 2004 World Series tickets to a local mayor at face value. Duquette wanted his minor league team to play ball at a park in the mayor's town. Both the Duke and the mayor deny wrongdoing. I appreciate this story on so many levels.

Finally, David Ortiz says he won't play in the All-Star game. Still no word on whom will take his spot in that stupid home run derby promotion that got Hank Steinbrenner in a tizzy.

That's it. No more news today. Oh yeah, Sox lose 5-4 to Rays. 1.5 games out. We'll get 'em tomorrow.

No comments: