Jun 20, 2008

Another open letter

Dear Phillies,

Remember when you used to win games? You would pitch, you would hit, you would score. I know, it's becoming just a blurry memory for me, too. Sure, you've lost only three in a row, but that makes you 3-7 in your last 10 games. Not too hot. And coincidentally, this downturn has come at the exact same time that you really started to receive national attention, that analysts started to say, "Hey, this team is for real. The Phillies are the team to beat in the National League."

I hope that this is just a bump in the road and that there won't be many more 7-1 games like tonight, where you got outhit by the Angels 17-2 - at home, no less. I hope Brett Myers can stop the bleeding tomorrow night because it will be good both for him and for the team. I hope Chase Utley breaks his ugly hitless streak.

We're all waiting for you to resume the level of play you were at before the Marlins series. I'll see you on Sunday, when you'll try to extend your new winning streak to two.

Love,
Christine

The Red Sox lost too, 5-4 to the Cardinals. But the story is that our champion, and probably the player with the best stints as both a Phillie and Red Sox, is likely done. It's not like we were expecting Curt Schilling to come back, but it still stings - sort of like when an elderly loved one dies. It's not tragic, but still sad.

Curt thanked us today, but anyone who rooted for the Sox before 2004 thanks him again. In his words:
If this was my last shot, and it is over, I wouldn’t change a thing (ok well that’s not totally true because I WOULD push rewind, go back to a few instances and shut my mouth, but hey we can’t all be perfect) that happened to me, with me or on any teams I played on. In 22 years I would say I had the honor of playing with some of the greatest of all time, and at most 3-4 really bad people, that’s not a bad thing.

No comments: