Oct 1, 2011

10 years too late

Greg and I did not attend Game 1 of the NLDS this evening. We did not win the lottery opportunity to buy tickets for the first round of the playoffs to watch the Cardinals and Phillies; I'm sure that we'll be watching all of the postseason at home this year.

But in 2001 ...

Eternal optimist I am about the Phillies, I bought tickets for Game 1 of the 2001 NLDS. The tickets were $18 each. There was a $4 service charge. Yes, $40 for two playoff tickets. The seats were in the 700 level, but who cares? I was convinced that we were going to the playoffs.

The Phillies ended the season two games behind the Braves; it wasn't even a possibility for them to win the wild card. Alas, my dreams of attending a Phillies playoff game were on hold until 2007.

I love the letter the organization sent to inform me that a credit would be placed on my credit card for the unused tickets. It includes so many gems, from the spot-on ...

--Jimmy Rollins had a magical rookie season, leading the league in stolen bases and triples along with playing spectacular defense.

--On-site work has begun for our spectacular New Ballpark opening in 2004.

... to the "what were they thinking."

--Robert Person emerged as a #1 starting pitcher.

--Rookies David Coggin and Brandon Duckworth solidified their spots in the pitching rotation for years to come.

I found my decade-old tickets and letter while cleaning out some paperwork this summer. I probably shredded some crucial information that I'll need someday, but I'll still have my first pair of playoff tickets.

No comments: