Sep 26, 2011

Ready for next year

Sorry this game recap took so long. I've been busy, plus distracted by some awful baseball.

Despite some September struggles, I'm not giving up on the prospect of a 2011 SoxandPhils World Series.

(Sox in five.)

{Phillies sweep Rays.}

But we are ready for next season after going to our last Phillies game on Sept. 18. Of course, it was night game on a Sunday, so we knew we wouldn't make the whole thing. We agreed we'd leave at 10 p.m., and thanks to some efficient pitching by Cole Hamels and Chris Carpenter, we saw 6 1/2 innings.

I say we're ready for next year because of that early exit. Walking out disgustingly early, I thought of titling this post "The walk of shame."

But I came up with some better spin - it's good practice for when we finally get to take Trent next year and will probably have to leave early.

That's it! What 'til next year! But let's not rush this SoxandPhils Series.

Observations from the stands: The Phillies had clinched the night before against the Cardinals, and the 2011 division flag was already flying.

I bought a scorecard without a program (same edition as the last game we went to), and they gave a sheet with rosters and pitchers from every team. I miss Newsy Notes.

The Phillies and Cardinals relievers looked like a flock of geese trying to form a "V" when walking to the bullpen.

The Phillies honored a whole bunch of staff before the game. Freddy Galvis and Trevor May got minor league players of the years. Trevor May: picture Joe Blanton in high school.

The Cheltenham High School Select Choir did the anthem. I can't remember it, but I've heard they hit all the right notes at the ballpark.

A kid wore a Phanatic head in front of his. He sipped hot chocolate and wore a blanket at times. It was cool, but not as icy as we feared.

The Phanatic skit was odd. He came out to George of the Jungle with a whole bunch of monkeys dancing with him. I joked that he probably bet someone after a Bruce Chen start in 2001 that he would get a whole bunch of monkeys to dance with him if the Phillies ever won five straight division titles.

I felt bad telling Trent about the monkeys the next day because it really sounds a lot more interesting than it was.

Antiquated shirts: Jayson Werth, Darren Daulton, Pat Burrell, Jamie Moyer and a couple others, but my handwriting is poor and the notes are more than a week old

Oh well, that wraps up our game days for the season. See you in the playoffs! (I hope.)

No comments: